Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Toy

Through a convoluted train of events and circumstances (that are not pertinent to this post) I have acquired a new toy.  A toy I doubt I would ever have purchased for myself, but am delighted to have, nevertheless.  It is a baby grand piano and we have been spending a bunch of time together.  The fact is that we have bonded, which is somewhat surprising considering my childhood feelings about pianos.


When I was in elementary school, my mother felt it would be a fabulous thing for me to learn to play.  I'm sure that she had expectations equal to the amount of money she spent for my piano lessons.  Sadly, these expectations did not materialize.  I won a first place in a state wide grade school competition, handed over the ribbon announcing my capabilities to my mother and rarely touched the keys afterwards.  Been there, done that, got the prize, the end.  For whatever reason I did hang on to one of my beginner piano books.  This book is old enough to be displayed in the Smithsonian Museum.  In it is a song that my dad loved to hear me play.  


When the piano was delivered (yes, delivered!) and set up in my dining room, I went to where I had put the book a zillion years ago and viola'!! There it was.  I sat down and stumbled through the notes, a frail spark of hope that, in doing so, I might feel closer to my dad.  He died almost 2 years ago and I miss him tremendously.  Knowing the song was supposed to flow smoothly, I also knew that I'd butchered it.  Hmmm. That wouldn't do.  My dad deserved better than that.  So I practiced the song over and over for several days.  I finally got it right and YES!  I did feel closer to my dad.


I pictured myself playing that old piano and my dad sitting in the winged back chair, smiling while I played.  I don't know if that actually ever happened, but the scene I envisioned brought me comfort.  I began practicing other songs in the book.  After a few weeks they sounded right, too.


Christmas is just around the corner, so I ordered a book of sheet music for Christmas carols and have begun practicing them.  My family can even recognize the songs I'm trying to play.  This is what is known as progress.  You know those people who bring out pictures of their children and make you look at 30 new pictures of their little darling whenever they see you?  That would be me - only with the 5 songs I know how to play.  My pigeons and other visitors are now required to endure a recital before we get down to visiting or working the steps.


Remember the post about feeling disconnected?  I've found that practicing the spiritual/religious Christmas carols helps me to feel closer to the old HP, the Father of us all.  Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art plug me in to the old HP, too.  Am I quick or what?  Another tool to add to my kit of spiritual tools!


No funny or smart mouth comments in todays post.  Just the sharing of an experience that brings comfort and joy while connecting me to my Higher Power.  And for that, I am so very grateful.


Have a good and sober day.

No comments:

Post a Comment