Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gravity

Recently I was standing in line at the gas station.  As usual I began to peruse my environment.  (Is that a slick was to say I'm nosy and hate being bored, or what?)  I allowed my gaze to drift over the packages of Twinkies and chips, candy bars and gum, then got down to watching people, which is my primary interest.  Yeah, yeah, my primary purpose is to carry the message of recovery to the alcoholics and addicts who still suffer, but I'm talking, here, about my primary interest.  Those two things are entirely different.

Anyway! Since I'm in the slowest line, as always, I start making judgements about people's purchases.  I can't believe how much money some people spend on lottery tickets - these purchases take F.O.R.E.V.E.R.  Plus, most lottery players around here should think about saving up for a vehicle that has windows not made of tattered plastic and flapping duct tape.

Moving on to the shoppers wandering about the store, I spy someone with a case of beverage dangling from his hand.  Lightly looking him over I make a few cursory 'observations' of the dude and look closer at the case of beverage - which is, as I suspected, beer. A condescending smirk (I am in recovery!!) starts to creep onto my face before I see the brand of the beer.  High Gravity.

High Gravity?!  You must be kidding.  My mind flashes back to the days before recovery and all of those little accidents I had; the bruises that seemed to mysteriously appear upon my person that I could not explain how they came to be;  the times I went over the dips and bumps in the road traveling a tad too fast and bottomed out the car (which resulted in the need to replace the radiator, not to mention the rather uncomfortable discussion with my hubby); the items I dropped and broke.  My family blamed all of these events on my drinking - drinking to excess they claimed!  They complained about my drinking for years.  I ignored this whining as best I could. I was pretty good at it, in fact.  Then the local police department got involved - they obviously had it in for me - and I got clean and sober.  Now, standing in line at the gas station, years later, I discover that those little accidents were the result of a conspiracy!  They, whoever "They" are, had been changing the earth's gravity levels by sneaking high gravity into alcoholic beverages without letting the public know!  How shoddy is that?

Just as I was getting ready to tell this poor, unsuspecting sucker how dangerous high gravity is, it was my turn at the checkout.  Guess he'll just have to figure it out on his own.  I no longer have those issues; in fact, high gravity scares the heck out of me.  Thank you, God!

Have a good and sober day.

No comments:

Post a Comment